How to Test Your Work Life Balance
What is Work Life Balance?
Your work life balance is how you distribute your time between your professional life and your personal life (i.e. time spent with family, doing things you enjoy and participating in leisure activities out of the office).
Our Work Life Balance Quiz
To provide some insight into the quality of your work life balance we at Empire Office Furniture have created a short 10 question quiz. Please answer true or false:
1. ___ I often participate in activities, hobbies and interests outside of work.
2. ___ I rarely miss family and friend's events or gatherings due to work.
3. ___ I usually have time for regular exercise throughout the week.
4. ___ I am rarely kept awake at night thinking about work.
5. ___ I rarely work through my lunch breaks.
6. ___ I do not struggle to relax after work.
7. ___ I do not feel the constant need to check my phone or email once leaving the office.
8. ___ I work 40 hours or less a week.
9. ___ I will put my physical and mental health before my career.
10. ___ I am satisfied with the work I am doing.
What These Results Mean
If you answered mostly true, this would suggest you have a healthy work life balance and should continue to keep this division between your personal and professional life strong.
If you answered mostly false or had an even mix of true and false responses, we recommend making some adjustments to your personal and professional life. Having an unhealthy work life balance can induce stress and anxiety that can manifest into larger health problems, as well as potentially leading to complications in your professional and personal life.
Our Work Life Balance Strategies
We recommend creating objectives and boundaries based on your priorities to improve the division between your personal life and professional life. It is important to acknowledge that work is not life and the separation between those two is important for your health, wellbeing and quality of life.
We suggest you manage and monitor how you spend your time to assure you are using it effectively to reach your new goals. Openly communicating with close friends, family members and potentially managers about your concerns can also be a productive way to make changes in your routine and gain a greater understanding of how you're operating in and out of the workplace. Lastly, we recommend regularly exercising, spending quality time with friends and family, and always make sure you also set aside time in the day to unwind.