We partner with the construction, business, education and public sectors – providing furniture and fitout solutions with speed and ease you won’t believe.
An established industry leader, our networks and buying power deliver big savings – but our greatest achievement is the loyal client base at the heart of our 40-year success. We’ve done the groundwork by curating a choice of proven and popular collections, from office chairs to classroom furniture. A huge in-stock range and expertise across the supply chain ensures fast turnaround and short lead times. But we’re much more than a retailer, with a reputation for quality customisation and seamless fitout management for projects of any scale.
Our story: the Empire evolution
Starting as a single retail outlet in 1982, Empire has grown to be one of Australia’s leading furniture and fitout specialists. Today, thousands of clients work with us in online and in person across business, education, government and health. Our mission is to make it easier to create places where people love to work and learn – today and tomorrow.
1982 – today
1982 – today
Founded in 1982 by two sisters from Queensland, our first showroom opened in Miami on the Gold Coast, with another following in Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley in 1986. Our locations expanded far and wide (with strategic relocations over the years). Today’s network of nine showrooms span North Queensland, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney.
Our specialist manufacturing arm was born and we achieved ISO9001 Quality certification. We won our first Federal Government contract as well as a Queensland Government supplier contract: marking the start of great working relationships with all levels of government.
We launched our full-project service with a dedicated fitout team. The team now includes qualified interior designers, project managers and installers who can handle the entire process for clients from first consultation to final handover.
2012 – 2013
2012 – 2013
We purchased and expanded our warehouse in Brisbane’s Rocklea. It’s now a 14,000 m2 logistics centre with unrivalled stock capacity for fast turnaround and delivery by our own fleet.
We were proud to be accredited to international standard ISO14001 for Environmental Management. Many of our products and collections are now certified by official accreditation bodies for lower chemical emissions and environmental impact.
Making use of the Queensland sun, we installed 600m2 of solar panels at our Rocklea warehouse and 223m2 at our Woolloongabba showroom, generating 400kw and 150kw hours per day respectively, significantly reducing our environmental footprint.
2017 – 2019
2017 – 2019
We proudly established Advanced Furniture Testing, an independent, NATA-accredited laboratory that tests and certifies commercial furniture against Australian and international furniture standards. We also won the QLD Government Standing Offer Arrangement for office, education, hospital and health furniture, as well as becoming a pre-qualified ‘Advanced’ supplier for the NSW Government Contract No. 771.
Striving for continuous improvement across all aspects of our business, we moved from petrol forklifts to fully electric forklifts and have upgraded in excess of 350 metal halide lights to energy efficient LEDs, reducing our CO2 emissions by 84% annually.
Around 40 years on, we couldn’t be prouder. Today we have a network stretching from Townsville to Sydney, a buzzing online shop, a full-service fitout team and – most importantly to us – thousands of loyal clients.
Our Sustainability Efforts and Environmental Policy
“Empire recognises the impact our business has on the environment, our customers, employees and neighbours. We are committed to the health of the environment”.
Empire Office Furniture is committed to environmental sensitivity in our business activities of retail office furniture.
As evidence of this commitment, we will:
- Integrate environmental considerations into our business planning and operations to prevent pollution, minimise other negative impacts, and generate positive outcomes where possible.
- Implement an environmental management system that is based on the ISO AN/NZS 14001:2015 international standard, and is appropriate to the significant environmental aspects of our activities, products and services, and their impacts.
- Meet our legal and other compliance obligations.
- Monitor and measure key elements of our environmental performance, and seek to continuously improve outcomes.
- Set objectives for environmental performance improvement and assign responsibility to members of senior management. The achievement of these objectives will be included in those managers’ Key Performance Indicators.
- Provide workers with awareness and training to help them make environmentally sound decisions.
- Communicate information regarding our environmental management system to interested parties via our web site and other means.
This policy and our EMS will be regularly reviewed by senior management to ensure continued effectiveness and improvement.
Like many organisations that are concerned with demonstrating sound environmental performance by controlling the impacts of our activities, products and services on the environment, Empire actively seeks out suppliers that have demonstrated a commitment to these values. As a reseller of business and school furniture we rely on our suppliers to partner with us to achieve sound environmental goals.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Empire is committed to reducing, reusing and recycling by adopting the following good environmental practices:-
Reduction in Energy Usage
Empire has reduced our electricity usage by 20% since switching to solar. We have installed 600m2 panels at our main distribution centre and showroom in Rocklea and 223m2 at our Woolloongabba showroom. We are also in the process of rolling out solar at other Empire showrooms in the near future.
All stocked items containing MDF board are certified E0 board, meaning it exceeds Australian Standards and guarantees the lowest possible formaldehyde levels (near to zero: less than or equal to 0.5 mg/l).
Empire is proud to be a preferred supplier and go-to partner for a wide range of local councils, major universities and Australian businesses and organisations. Here are three of our major contractual partnerships.
NSW Government: Office and Education Furniture Contract 771
Empire Office Furniture is an approved supplier for the NSW Government, under the Office and Education Furniture Contract No. 771. Empire is one of the “Tier 1” suppliers approved to fulfil orders up to and above $150,000. Empire is approved to supply furniture from 12 product categories, across all NSW regions.
Queensland Government: whole of government (managed by Department of Education, Training and Employment)
DET 68449 SOA – Standing Offer Arrangement
We are a preferred supplier for the supply, delivery and installation of office, education, hospital and health furniture as well as speciality items.
Local Buy (Queensland local government) LB285 – Supply of Office & Stationery Goods & Associated Services
Local Buy allows councils to access a range of goods and services through a single quotation, rather than tender process, saving time and money. Empire was selected as a preferred supplier of office furniture to councils.
Quality Assurance: ISO 9001
We meet or exceed the international standard for quality assurance, with the right systems in place to ensure customer satisfaction and real organisational efficiency.
Environmental Management: ISO 14001
We meet or exceed the international standard for an environmental management system, to identify impacts and define controls to prevent and reduce pollution and ensure regulatory compliance.
Advanced Furniture Testing
Products tested and certified against specific Australian and international furniture standards by Advanced Furniture Testing, an independent laboratory accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA).
Australasian Furnishing Research and Development Institute
Products tested and certified by the AFRDI with the goal to increase product durability (and thus sustainability). Criteria includes requirements for strength, durability, stability and function.
Business + Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association
Educational furniture proven to comply with BIFMA’s demanding performance standards for safety and durability.
All of Empire’s melamine board is E0 (or e-zero) grade, meaning it exceeds Australian Standards and guarantees the lowest possible formaldehyde levels (near to zero: less than or equal to 0.5 mg/l).
Good Environmental Choice Australia
Products certified by GECA as better for the environment and human health. This ecolabel proves that a product has been rigorously assessed for impact over its life cycle and is safer for users.
Products scientifically proven and certified to meet some of the world’s most rigorous third-party chemical emissions standards, helping to reduce indoor air pollution and the risk of chemical exposure.
Products certified to meet health-based criteria for additional chemicals and lower total VOC (volatile organic compound) emissions levels to ensure suitability for environments such as schools and healthcare facilities.
Advanced Furniture Testing
Who is Advanced Furniture Testing?
Advanced Furniture Testing is an accredited independent laboratory which tests commercial furniture to specific Australian and international furniture standards.
In its mechanical testing laboratory, Advanced Furniture Testing conducts tests using specialised technical apparatus which simulate real-life use and foreseeable misuse for many types of furniture.
Advanced Furniture Testing is accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA). It is authorised to test and certify furniture to 14 international furniture standards and is regularly audited by NATA to ensure a high level of technical competence and integrity.
Who is NATA?
NATA ensures that laboratories and technical facilities are accredited to internationally recognised standards. It conducts audits to ensure the facilities meet these world standards in testing and comply with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025:2005 (General Requirements for the Competence of Testing Laboratories).
Who is Standards Australia™?
Standards Australia is the leading independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organisation specialising in the development and adoption of international and Australian standards.
Look for this Logo
Certification = Reduced Risk = Peace of Mind
Australia’s largest range of tested and certified products for Government and Schools.
What tests are carried out?
In order to certify commercial furniture to international standards, the following tests are conducted:
- Cycle endurance
- Footrail strength
- Frame detachment evaluation
- Functional characteristics
- Top load ease
These tests generally endeavour to simulate the normal use of the product by mechanical apparatus using accelerated simulation.
SAFETY • STRENGTH • DURABILITY • STABILITY
What is a Standard?
Standards are intended to provide all users with a common basis for evaluating the safety, durability and structural adequacy of furniture. They are developed in a consensus-based process organised by a recognised standards body. In Australia this is Standards AustraliaTM (AS/NZS). In the USA this is ANSI/BIFMA.
In summary, standards:
- Describe the means of evaluating furniture products
- Define the specific tests
- Define the test equipment that may be used
- Define the minimum acceptable levels
- Define how products should be tested
Benefits of Certified Furniture
- Assures the furniture meets a high standard of safety
- Provides insight into the structural adequacy, strength and durability of a product
- Identifies any issues prior to the furniture being employed into the workplace
- Reduces risk relating to workplace injuries or accidents
- Provides peace of mind that purchasing decisions are based on documented evidence. This can only be achieved through certification.
Certification = Reduced Risk = Peace of Mind
What Standards does Advanced Furniture Testing certify?
NATA has approved Advanced Furniture Testing to perform tests to 6 Australian standards. Each piece of furniture is put through an extensive series of tests which determine the furniture’s strength, durability and stability. Only furniture that has passed the tests specified in these standards can be certified.
|1||School and Educational Furniture||AS/NZS 4610.1 – Tables|
|2||School and Educational Furniture||AS/NZS 4610.2 – Chairs|
|3||School and Educational Furniture||AS/NZS 4610.3 – Storage|
|4||Office Workstations, Tables and Desks||AS/NZS 4442 – Office Desks, Workstations and Tables|
|5||Chairs||AS/NZS 4438 – Height-adjustable swivel chairs|
|6||Chairs||AS/NZS 4688 – Fixed height chairs|
Advanced Furniture Testing also has the competence to perform tests to the following 8 international standards. Only furniture that has passed the tests specified in these standards can be certified.
|1||Tables||BS EN 1730 – Tables|
|2||Tables||BS EN 15372 – Non-domestic tables|
|3||Office Workstations, Tables and Desks||ANSI/BIFMA X5.5 – Desks & Tables|
|4||Office Workstations, Tables and Desks||ANSI/BIFMA X5.6 – Workstations|
|5||Chairs – Fixed and Adjustable Height||ANSI/BIFMA X5.1 – Office Chairs|
|6||Chairs – Fixed and Adjustable Height||ANSI/BIFMA X5.11 – Large occupant seating|
|7||Chairs – Fixed and Adjustable Height||ABS EN 1335 – Office work chairs|
|8||Chairs – Fixed and Adjustable Height||ISO 21015 – Office work chairs|
Empire Company Values
The following values are shared amongst all Empire staff. They reflect how we operate, and are what you can expect from us each and every time you deal with Empire.
We make the process faster, smoother, easier and more affordable than our clients thought possible. No stress and frustration: the ideal furniture and fitout is a fantastic experience.
We’re upfront, honest and transparent – and earn the trust placed in us every day. We’re human and personal, with a specialist team, local touchpoints and help on hand.
We’re not about transactions – we’re about long-term relationships built on incredible service and results. We work hard and recruit specialists to ensure deep client and industry-specific understanding.
We help clients evolve with changing trends and demands, from creative collaboration and fl exible learning to social distancing safety. We understand industry drivers and global trends, developing and sourcing the latest solutions to help our clients thrive.
Our products are researched, tested and trialled – with high standards of manufacture, design, durability and “real world” performance. We pride ourselves on quality at every step and have the certifications to prove it.
We strive to add value at every turn through unrivalled experience, advice and networks. We use our insights and expertise to help our clients make the most of their space, people and potential.
When it comes to client needs, we’re attuned, proactive and passionate. We’re clear on expectations, stick to schedules, honour our commitments and make life easy.
Explore a career at Empire
We’re all about providing an all-round rewarding client experience – and that goes for our team too.
Personal & positive
Small team environments and positive open forums for feedback and quality improvements.
Development & support
Support for cross-training and career progression.
Choice & variety
So many opportunities: showroom sales and service; warehousing and logistics; head office administration and services; IT and support services; management and line management; HR, accounts and marketing.
Have the talent, attitude and experience?
We’re on the lookout for talented people with the right experience. Not a furniture expert? You might be customer service or market guru. If you share our passion for client delight, you could be just right.
Employees, suppliers and business partners are part of the extended Empire family. Keen?
Office Furniture Installer / Offsider (Sydney)
Empire Office Furniture has been blitzing the Office Furniture marketplace for over 30 years. We own and operate 10 retail stores across NSW and Qld, servicing many high profile corporate organisations, government and small business clients.
*****IMMEDIATE START – Fulltime Permanent Position ******
Activities required for this role include but are not limited to;
- Delivery and Installation of Office Furniture and Workstations to a wide range of business, government and domestic clients.
- Use of company vehicles in a safe, courteous, professional and appropriate manner, and advise the Despatch Manager / Supervisor of any problems with or damage to the company vehicle/equipment as soon as possible after detection
- Communicate with our staff, customers and suppliers in a safe, courteous, professional and appropriate manner that lives up to our reputation of excelling our customers needs & requirements
- Check that all goods to be collected / delivered match the product details/descriptions/serial numbers on invoices, delivery dockets etc
Attributes to be successful in this role;
- Physically fit, able to lift and move heavy items
- Ability to assemble furniture in both our Warehouse and on site
- Trade or Handyman background
- Display excellent customer service as you are the face of our business when interacting with clients
- Manual Drivers Licence
In return you will be provided with;
- Dynamic and positive work environment
- Comprehensive in-house training
- Deal with a wide range of corporate and domestic clients
- Competitive Wages
- Opportunity to develop and progress within Australia’s leading Office Furniture Business
If you feel you are the right person for this role APPLY NOW!
Sales and Administration (Brisbane)
Empire Office Furniture is Australia’s leading office furniture retailer servicing many high profile corporate organisations, government departments, local and regional business customers.
This privately owned and operated company has a great reputation to successfully provide quality workstations, seating and furniture for over 30years. We operate 10 retail stores across Queensland and now in Sydney.
Immediate vacancy, based at one of our thriving Brisbane Showrooms, we are looking for a highly organized and efficient individual to provide Sales and Administrative support to our Sales Team, in a fast paced Retail and Project driven business.
You will need good attention to detail and time management to work in a team environment. Enjoying the variety of tasks with a positive customer focus.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Administrative duties includes, following sales and administrative procedures, answering phones and general enquiries, debtors, purchase orders and supplier performance, running and actioning reports and general office and accounts orientated duties receipting goods, ordering stock, invoicing, debtors, banking, running reports and other general office duties.
- Develop strong product knowledge to enable you to provide advice to a wide range of clients with regard to their office furniture requirements.
- Preparation of Quotes and processing of Sales Orders through to delivery.
- Assist with the furniture showroom display and pricing
To succeed in the role we will be looking for someone who;
- Is highly organized with strong computer and procedure systems knowledge and a solid understanding of the flow of information within a business.
- Strong communication skills within a team focused environment and a willingness to assist in all areas of the branch operations.
- A customer driven business means you will bring the highest level of customer service into this role.
- Have the ability to manage multiple tasks on the go
If you feel you could bring something great to our business please APPLY NOW!
Sales Consultant (Brisbane)
Empire Office Furniture is Australia’s leading office furniture retailer, servicing many high profile Corporate, Government and Education Clients. We now have an opportunity for an enthusiastic professional who can excel at selling solutions to our customers
This is a Golden Opportunity for Career Progression with a fantastic work / life balance.
The right candidate will need to bring some extra skills to the role and would enjoy working in a dynamic environment which combines Sales, Project Management, and Design departments within Empire.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Providing furniture solutions to corporate clients
- Provide excellent customer service
- To actively seek and promote good customer relations
- Promptly responding to all customer enquiries with product advice, office measure-ups, fabric and finish samples, brochures, catalogues and appropriate recommendations as required
- Action reports and maintaining databases
- Perform computer operations with in-house database, outlook email and Microsoft office suite..
To succeed in the role we will be looking for:
- Experience in retail sales (office furniture experience favourable)
- Experience in design based commercial furniture, and understanding of the A & D Market
- Relationship focused and customer service orientated
- Must be highly computer literate
- Must be well presented
In return, you will be rewarded with extensive training and career development opportunities, great work / life balance and competitive wages..
If you feel you could bring something great to our business please APPLY NOW!